Friday, May 14, 2010

Nail/Skin/Lip biting problem?

I have a very bad habit of biting my nails, and the skin around my nails. I've been biting them for 3 years now. It's become a big problem because I have permanantly damaged my fingers. I've tried everything I can think of to stop biting my nails and skin. (skin is more of the problem). I've tried things to stop chewing my skin and nails, but it seems if I stop then I start to chew my cheeks and lips a lot! When I chew my cheeks they bleed a lot, but they heel faster than my fingers do.. and it doesn't hurt. I simply cannot stop. It's like an addiction. And most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it! I find that I chew the most when I'm stressed. (exams were not long ago... and my fingers are... well, not in the best shape) I've always told myself I'll just stop it over time.. but it's been three years now...





Any ideas on how to stop? Anyone know why I do this? I don't know anyone else who has the same problem as me...


Any thoughts or opinions?Nail/Skin/Lip biting problem?
I have the same problem with my nails. I simply cannot stop biting them...


I think the problem starts with your nails. Try putting on a sort of chemical on the that's not dangerous so when you do go to bite your nails, you'll taste that horrible chemical taste and so you don't end up ill from putting dangerous chemicals in your mouth. I think there are certain chemicals like that...


Also, try nail varnish. When I had varnish on (I rarely have it on thanks to crummy school) I didn't bite my nails at all but then we went back to school and had to take it off again :(


Also, try a manicure. You'll like how it looks and wouldn't want to ruin that. If you're not biting your nails, you won't bite your fingers...


Try and carry some gum with you most of the time too so you won't start biting your cheeks. If you do have the urge to bite something, simply chew gum. But don't chew too much of it because it could cause stomach ulcers if you chew it way too often but that's unlikely.


Hope I helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment